Prior Sweepstakes Winners Rave
about Their Experiences:
“My expectations were met, exceeded, then exceeded on top of that!”
—Greg Norris, Novelist/Screenwriter
“It’s an 11 on a scale of one-to-ten. The food is phenomenal; the ambience fantastic!”
—Jan Cannon, Non-Fiction Author
“It flipped the ‘shoulds.’ At home, I should be at work, I should be cooking, I should be looking after the million things that need to be done. Here, the only thing I had to do was write!”
—Julie Goldberg, Librarian & Novelist
“I didn’t expect the caliber of writers. The food is unbelievable. You need to come experience the energy!”
—Chrissie van Wormer, Non-Fiction Author
“I didn’t expect the friendships I would make here or the ability to learn from other writers, who were outside my genre, which was priceless!”
—Cindy Lord, Prize-Winning Children’s-Fiction Author
“Everything was just wonderful… It’s very hard to leave.”
—Lisa Cordeiro, Novelist
“I expected to be in a barn, in a remote area of Vermont… Instead, I found a really intimate environment, kind of like a bed and breakfast, where the proprietors were really interested in my work … where the staff was as professional and courteous as at any hotel in the country and where the food was as good as the finest restaurants in New York City.”
—Matt Matros, Professional Poker Player, Author & Novelist
“I like 5-star experiences, so when I got here and saw it was 5-star, I said, ‘Oh, man!”
—Amber Maiden, Author/Memoirist
“I wasn’t expecting something so cozy and homey. You can wander around this place and feel very much like you’re at home, even though you’re not at home. It was like you were with a bunch of friends at a country house.”
—Barbara Wallace, Prize-Winning Romance Novelist
“I had not at all expected the kind of evenings we had here, the other people who were participating and the chance to critique their work and to read from my own. That was a surprise for me. I really enjoyed it!”
—Susham Bedi, Top-Rated South Asian Novelist
“Everything is exceptional: the attention to detail, the antiques, the comfort, the knowledge, the expertise. About all you could do to improve the experience would be to put a hammock out in the yard.”
—Bill Teague, Novelist
“We just connected very quickly. …I usually expect that kind of bond to take a lot longer to form, like a couple weeks, months or years!”
—Lamont McLean, Novelist
“There were several points in my writing where I had questions about things, and I was given two or three very definite ideas that would ‘clean up’ my mess, and they were right on the money. I’m a kind of serial writing-retreater and this was something I had never received before.”
—Jan Breen, Novelist & Ghostwriter
“My son kept saying, ‘How do you know it’s real. How do you know it’s not a scam?’ Well, it’s real. It’s fun. There’s a sense of family, and you get a lot done!”
—Kathy Johnson, Novelist
WWCR 1st Anniversary Sweepstakes Entry Form
ALL SWEEPSTAKES ENTRY, CLAIM AND BOOKING FORM SUBMISSIONS ARE TIME-AND-DATE STAMPED. LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
Rules (See our Official Rules for complete details):
- No Purchase Necessary to Enter
- Void where Prohibited
- All winnerswill be selected randomly (by random.org)
- Prior Sweepstakes Winners are ineligible
- Important Sweepstakes Dates:
- Entry Deadline: Wednesday, September 18th. Enter Now! (And enter only once.) To enter, you must complete the form on this page by no later than 11:59 PM, EDT, Wednesday, September 18th. (Late, or multiple, entries will be disqualified.)
- Winner Notification Date:We will notify all winners on Friday, September 20th (by the methods listed below).
- Prize-Claim Deadline:You must “claim” your prize (state your intent to accept it, complete required paperwork online and pay any applicable deposits) no later than: 11:59 PM, EDT Monday, September 23rd. Prize winners who do not complete all steps required to claim their prizes by the Prize-Claim deadline will forfeit their prizes, and WWCR will award the prize to the next qualifying entrant.
- Room Reservation Deadline: After claiming your prize, you will have until 11:59 PM, EST, Saturday, October 5th, 2013 to book your visit (rooms and dates) and complete the reservation process. (All date and room assignments will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Late bookings will be disqualified.)
- Prize Period: Prizes may only be redeemed for visits completed between October 1st and December 15th 2013 and exclude Thanksgiving Weekend.1
Refunds/Credits. All sweepstakes-related bookings are final. Prize winners may only redeem their prizes by visiting the retreat during the official prize redemption period (October 1st to December 15, 2013) and only on the specific dates they reserve. Failure to keep those dates, even with advance notice, forfeits the prizes. Any winner, who cannot come on a previously selected date but who notifies When Words Count Retreat, in writing, at least 14 days in advance of the scheduled check-in date, will receive a one-year credit equal to the amount of their deposit. However,they shall forfeit the remaining value of their prize. Any winner, who fails to show on their check-in date or who cancels their reservation less than 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival date, shall forfeit their deposit and shall not receive a credit for any amounts paid.
1Black-out Period: Thanksgiving weekend: Nov. 28 – Dec. 1, 2013. No bookings will be accepted for these dates.
2Sweepstakes prizes are non-transferable. They may only be used by the official winner and one designated guest who accompanies the winner. The guest must pay for a standard meal plan to cover the cost of his or her food service during the entire stay. (Cost per person per day for meals, including tax and tip, is $69.30.) Sweepstakes prizes may not be combined with any other offer. Each prize has a cash-surrender value of 1/100,000th of a cent. Meal-service prepayments/room holds are non-refundable, except in the instances covered above. Winners who must cancel or otherwise decline their sweepstakes prizes after first scheduling/confirming sweepstakes visits shall receive a non-transferable credit equal to the amount of any advance payment made. The credit will be good for one year from the date of cancellation and may be applied toward any portion of any future purchase of a When Words Count Retreat visit or book-coaching service.
3Alternate winners, selected after the Prize-Claim Deadline, will have 48 hours in which to claim their prizes and an additional 48 hours beyond the Room Reservation Deadline, if needed, to complete their room reservations.
Come to Our “Home in the Hollows” for the Writing Experience of a Lifetime
Six beautifully appointed rooms (the F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Mark Twain, the Hemingway, Dickinson, Ellison and Miller) await you in a country-elegant setting designed to free you to write as never before. Breathtaking scenery will greet you at every turn, while shaded country lanes and meandering paths beckon. Chef Paul will prepare his delightful cuisine three-times-a-day, and on clear nights, the Milky Way will light up the sky.
Why Are We Doing This?
We are making this incredible offer available to you in order to celebrate our first year in business and to promote the retreat,our coaching services and our bi-annual Pitch Week book-publishing competitions. We hope your visit will so recharge your batteries and renew your spirits that, afterward, you will eagerly tell others!
Who is Eligible?
All U.S. and Canadian citizens, 18 years of age or older, who are currently writing a book, and who have not previously entered and won a When Words Count Retreat sweepstakes, may enter the contest. Simply complete the entry form to the right. Please thoroughly review the contest’s Official Rules before entering. We wish you good writing … and good luck!
How Will I Know if I’ve Won?
We will notify winners 3 ways on Friday, September 20th:
- By phone and/or text message. (be sure to give us your PRIMARY cell phone number – and then, check your messages repeatedly Friday night!)
- By email. To make sure the winner announcement with your all-important Prize-Claim link arrives in your inbox, please add: firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts list. Do it NOW! Only the email contains your prize-claim link!
- On Facebook. We will list all Grand Prize winners, and alternates, by their First Name initial, Last Names and place of residence.) on our Official Facebook page www.facebook.com/whenwordscountretreat.
It is THE WINNER’S SOLE RESPONSIBILITY to use the prize-claim link (contained in the winner email announcement) to claim his or her prize during the 72-hour prize-claim period. Failure to do so forfeits the prize. We then award the prize to the next eligible sweepstakes entrant.